Saturday, March 1, 2008

The Poor Burmese Children?


During Mission Week at our church, Rob was asked to give a presentation on Myanmar (former Burma) to the children, grades K-6, while the ladies had a luncheon. To start the part about the orphans and the poor children that need care and help, he showed these pictures of our children in the mud. My girls were with me at the luncheon, but my Kindergarten and 3 year old boys were with Rob. As Rob continued to play on the emotions of the kids and the teen workers with these pictures, my boys didn't realize that they were pictures of themselves! The kids and workers had this "poor muddy children!" look on their faces, horrified at the conditions of the children until FINALLY Robert said, "Hey! That's Jude and I!!!". Then, everyone laughed and thought it was so funny. To me, the funny thing was my boys not recognizing themselves!!
As a side note, this muddy fiasco happened 2 years ago when I was recovering from having our fifth child, Rose, and Dad was in charge. No telling what will happen when May 3 comes!

The other picture on this post is a picture Rob took in Myanmar of a t-shirt for sale in the market. He showed this on the power point and first asked a new K or 1st grade reader to read it for them. They couldn't figure it out. So, then he asked a quick learning, avid reading 5 th grade boy to read it. He kept pressuring him saying, "Please explain this shirt to us-'girs for good, hong shang everyone box on opening times to'. Tell us what it means!" The poor guy was very confused and finally said, "Mr. Rob, I don't know what that means!" Then, Rob assured him that it was a joke, there was no meaning! The Burmese just think it is great to have a shirt with English written on it; even if they can't read it and don't know what it means! Everyone laughed then. His point was to show that the Burmese are so excited to speak with someone who speaks English and what a great opportunity this can give you to tell them about the living God who sent his Son as a sacrifice for our sin.
The children left very excited about missions. I wish I could have been there to here my wonderful husband who is on fire for Christ and excited about missions. He has a wonderful gift of communication that inspires others as well. I'm going to write more about Missions Week soon, but tomorrow is the last day, and I want to wait until it is all said and done to write anymore.

2 comments:

cjsmomx6 said...

I am so thankful for you and your husband. You both are such a wonderful example of christian service and a love for Christ.

cjsmomx6 said...

I am so thankful for you both. You are a tremendous example of what christian service and love looks like.