In response to many about the Pilgrim's Progress VBS, here is a guideline that may be helpful. It's not thorough by any stretch of the imagination, but it is a good starting point. If you would like my edited version, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I will send it to you.
Year 1- VBS Pilgrim's Progress (Chapters 1-5) for the younger children
Day 1- The Gate is Narrow
*Memory Verse- Matt. 7:13-14, "Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those that enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and those who find it are few." (underlined part is the memory verse for the younger children)
*Skit of Chapter 1 done by youth group members for introductory meeting.
Preschool would rotate between the reading room, craft room, play room, and snack room, and game time
*Reading of A Dangerous Journey(ch 1) (edited version).
*Craft Room- (older children worked on a book, a section a day, correlation with the chapter. Preschool did a project a day.)
Preschool for day 1, Gate craft. (white card stock, pop sickle sticks for gate, cut out of Christian to glue in the gate (wicket gate).
*Play room (jumpy blow up thing)
*Game time- obstacle course to the wicket gate
Day 2- Cast All Your Cares Upon Him
* 1 Peter 5:7, "Cast all you cares upon Him, because He cares for you."
* Skit of Chapter 2 by youth group members
* Reading of A Dangerous Journey (ch2)
* Craft- make a 'burden' backpack (possibly with paper grocery bags and something heavy to put inside?)
*Game time- Ring toss (cast your cares...) or bowling (burden rolling down the hill)
Day 3- Your Word Is A Lamp To My Feet
* Psalm 119:105, "Your Word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path."
*Skit of Chapter 3 by youth group members
*Reading of edited version of A Dangerous Journey (ch3)
*Craft- Make a parchment paper rolled up with the child's name on it and a ribbon (like the one given to Christian at the Interpreter's house)
* Game time- Follow the leader in a dark room; leader has a flashlight., Simon says
* snack time
Day 4- Sword of the Spirit
* Ephesians 6:17 " and take the helmet of Salvation. and the sword of the spirit, which is the Word of God." (underlined part for younger children to memorize)
*Skit of Chapter 4 by youth group members
* Reading of edited version of A Dangerous Journey (ch4) (emphasize that OUR sword against evil in the Word of God)
*Craft- make swords out of cardboard and aluminum foil. Bible coloring sheet- our sword.
Day 5- I Will Fear No Evil . Chapter 5, "The Valley of the Shadow of Death"
*Psalm 23:4 "Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me; your rod and staff comfort me."
*Skit of Chapter 4 by youth group members.
*Reading of edited version of A Dangerous Journey (ch 5)
*Craft- Possible ending day craft- canvas bags for children to sponge paint, decorate, put sticky letter on to spell their name, or at least have one or two letters for their initials.
* game time- relay races
1. In our gym, we had a mock version of Christian's journey that the kids could go through. The journey was interactive. They would wear their burdens on the journey, get a parchment paper, fight Apollyon, etc.
2. Pictures of each child taken with their burden and sword and parchment paper. This was the picture on the front of their book that the older children were making.3. Children could 'fight' Appolyon